1-868-624-7257

Trinidad Office

1-868-639-1809

Tobago office

Facebook

Youtube

Search
 

MEDICAL COMPLAINTS COUNCIL CASES

Martin George & Company > MEDICAL COMPLAINTS COUNCIL CASES (Page 8)

LAWSUIT OVER HUSBAND’S POST-SURGERY DEATH… $18 MILLION RULING FOR NUNEZ-TESHEIRA

A private medical institution and a specialist doctor have been ordered to pay over $18 million in compensation to former finance minister Karen Nunez-Tesheira for their alleged negligence leading to her husband’s death after a prostate operation in 2004. Nunez-Tesheira yesterday won quite possibly the highest ever payout in a medical negligence case in T&T’s history at the conclusion of an over decade-long legal battle with Gulf View Medical Centre and anaesthesiologist Dr Crisen Roopchand. Although she scored the major legal victory after overcoming numerous hurdles, including the dismissal of the lawsuit at a preliminary stage, Nunez-Tesheira will have to wait...

Continue reading

IMPASSE ON HOSPITAL DEATHS CONTINUE

ATTORNEY Martin George says that the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) has accepted liability in the neonatal and maternal deaths at the Scarborough General Hospital last year. However, he claims that the TRHA is now refusing to release the report into the deaths of Leciana Mitchell-Sheppard and her son, Ajani. He is accusing the TRHA of “evasion, deception and subterfuge as it relates to Tobago’s health sector.” George says, “This goes beyond this case. Every citizen that has to access those facilities should be concerned.” George, who is acting for Sheppard’s husband, Brinsley, is bringing a civil case against the TRHA on behalf...

Continue reading

NEW HOSPITAL EQUALS GOOD HEALTHCARE?

THE Scarborough General Hospital is approaching its second anniversary in its new location. I think the majority of Tobago residents accept that the hospital facilities and equipment are vastly improved, but the jury is out on operations and the management at the institution. Until, I read of the demise of the young mother and her baby in her attempt to give birth last month, I was beginning to ease my long held apprehension about the attitudes to work by some of the health ‘professionals’ at the institution. Members of the Shepherd family are contending that medical negligence caused the tragedy in...

Continue reading

Family TO SUE SWRHA

  https://youtu.be/GH37lLZJbGY The family of a 30 year-old welder Navin Singh of Princes Town has initiated legal action against the South West Regional Health Authority over the young man’s death in October last year. The family’s attorney Martin George and Co issued a pre-action protocol letter to the authority last week. Singh died from a rare flesh eating bacterium, five days after a doctor diagnosed and treated him for a pinched nerve. An autopsy at the mortuary of the San Fernando General Hospital gave the cause of his death as septic shock necrotising fasciitis of the right limb. According to the Centres for Disease Control,...

Continue reading

WHY DID NAVIN DIE?

The family of Navin Bheesham Singh, 30, is seeking answers on the cause of his sudden death days after receiving treatment at the Princes Town District Health Facility for a pain in his right knee. They held a news conference yesterday at the OWTU conference hall, Paramount Building, Circular Road, San Fernando calling for a probe of his death on October 30. His grieving mother, Bhagwantee Singh-Weekes, who wept as she recalled the suffering of her first son, claimed Navin was not throughly examined at the health facility. “This doesn’t make any sense. We want to know why on Monday (October 27) at...

Continue reading

DEATH FROM FLESH-EATING BACTERIUM

Published: Thursday, November 6, 2014 Shenika Weekes, left, sister of Navin Singh, consoles his fiancee, Janice Soogrim, during the family’s news conference yesterday at OWTU’s head office, San Fernando. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL A Princes Town mother wants to know how her son, Navin Bheesham-Singh, died from a rare flesh-eating bacterium, five days after a doctor diagnosed and treated him for a pinched nerve. An autopsy at the mortuary of the San Fernando General Hospital gave the cause of his death as septic shock necrotizing fasciitis of the right limb According to the Centres for Disease Control, necrotizing fasciitis is a serious bacterial infection that spreads...

Continue reading

BRIAN NURSE: LET DOWN BY LAWYERS AND MINISTERS

Dad wins $6m medical negligence suit  Michelle Loubon Published: Sunday, June 12, 2011 Flanked by his son Jared, Valencia resident Brian Nurse shares a father/son bonding moment with his other son Jerrend—who has been stricken with cerebral palsy due to hospital negligence. Photo:Abraham Diaz A mere week before Father’s Day, Valencia resident Brian Nurse is basking in a medical victory on behalf of his beloved twin sons Jared and Jerrend. Nurse created history when he successfully challenged the State over hospital negligence—and won a landmark $6.4 million. To date, he has been paid $1.6 million. The red letter day was December 13, 2010. In a nutshell,...

Continue reading

MEDICS CAN EXPECT MORE MALPRACTICE SUITS

  A Sunday Newsday Investigation Medical practitioners across TT can soon expect more litigation charges of malpractice against them as attorneys reveal that there are several cases of medical negligence which are now under consideration for possible court action. Sometimes people do not even know that negligence may have been involved in the loss of a loved one. Even if they suspect they do not know where to turn. Doctors support, protect and cover-up for each other. The saying that doctors’ mistakes are quickly buried is no joke. There have been reports of patients entering a hospital for one type of operation...

Continue reading

BATTLES, CHANGES IN HEALTH SECTOR

2011 was a pressure-filled year not only for those entrusted with giving quality health care but also for those seeking medical attention at health institutions. It was a year marked by a change in health ministers, industrial action, claims of medical negligence and maternal deaths. The start of 2011 saw a change in the system for the collection of blood when on January 1, the "chit system" for blood donation was discontinued and replaced by a volunteer system. Former health minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis said the chit system facilitated the illegal sale of blood chits and the sale of bogus chits. However, its discontinuation...

Continue reading

EXPECTANT MOTHERS FEAR SANDO MATERNITY WARD

Expectant mothers are expressing fear about having their babies at the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) following the death of a mother and infant over the weekend. Several mothers who attend ante-natal clinic at the hospital and at the Pleasantville and Roy Joseph Health Centres, said they are afraid to have their babies at the hospital but they could not afford to go to private hospitals. Nyca Foster, 29, of La Brea, and her unborn child died at the SFGH on Saturday morning, three days after she was admitted to the hospital in intense pain. Foster’s relatives are hoping an...

Continue reading