MOM BLEEDS TO DEATH AFTER C-SECTION AT PRIVATE HOSPITAL
Two children will never experience the joy of spending Christmas with their mother, 28-year-old Sasha Bisnath, who died tragically hours after giving birth at a private medical facility in South, in what family members claim was a botched Caesarian section. Bisnath, of Orange Field, Carapichaima, gave birth to her second child, Siara, on Thursday morning.
She was later pronounced dead around 8 pm, Friday, at the Intensive Care Unit of the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH).
An autopsy performed on Bisnath’s body yesterday at the mortuary of the SFGH by Dr Hubert Daisley stated death was due to Disseminating Intra-vascular Coagulation (DIC). DIC, according to Churchill Livingstone Pocket Medical Dictionary, leads to the formation of small blood clots inside the blood vessels throughout the body. As this occurs, normal clotting is disrupted and abnormal bleeding occurs from the surgical wound.
However, Bisnath’s husband Damien Bisnath believes the staff which performed the C-section at the medical centre may have clipped an artery before stitching her wound. He said this was evident as within one hour after the birth, his wife suffered severe internal bleeding through her pelvic region. He said even after reporting it to nurses, it took almost two hours before they responded, and a further 30 minutes for the doctor to arrive.
By this time, he said, his wife began to suffer from hypovolemic shock. “They called the doctor and by that time, she began to feel cold and started to tremble. She kept bawling ‘that is it,’” he said. He said the doctor eventually came and administered Cycotec tablets intravaginally. But the family became more incensed yesterday when the gynaecologist who performed Bisnath’s surgery turned up at the mortuary and was present while the autopsy was being conducted.
Damien said he was now contemplating a second autopsy and wants an investigation launched into his wife’s death by the relevant authorities. He said he had already spoken to his family’s attorney and is considering legal action against the medical centre. Struggling to fight back tears, Damien said his wife was never a sickly person and even throughout the pregnancy, neither she nor the baby suffered any complications.
He said, “We went in at 8 am, Thursday, for the C-section and there were some delays so we started the actual procedures around 11 am. “Then within the hour, she and the baby came out good. I saw my child and she was alright. “My wife was awake, they gave her drips, everything was alright, she was smiling and talking with us.
“About and hour and a half after, blood was leaking onto the bed sheet, so I called the nurse around 1 pm, and they took about two hours to reach. By the time they arrived, she lost between two-and-a-half to three pints of blood.” He added that his wife’s blood type is O+ and she was given B+ blood as replacement and believes this was detrimental to her health.
‘We had to beg them to release her to San Fernando General’
Bisnath’s cousin Simone Baboolal said they practically had to beg the medical staff to release her to the care of the SFGH. She said upon arrival, doctors immediately realised that Bisnath was still haemorrhaging heavily, and they did their best to revive her as she was in a semi-conscious state.
She said they needed 19 pints of blood and after several calls and a radio advertisement, donors responded from various ends of the country. She said doctors at the hospital said they needed as much blood as possible because her blood was not clotting, and because she had already suffered substantial blood loss, her platelet count was low.
Baboolal said doctors at the SFGH told them that an error was made during the C-section and surgeons at the private medical facility failed to identify it. She claimed that hospital doctors discovered two pints of blood in Bisnath’s womb which resulted in severe swelling of the ovaries and uterus. She said doctors also had to remove these organs in a bid to save the woman’s life.
Damien said he had paid the private medical centre $21,000 to perform a safe surgical procedure on his wife and believes that the gynaecologist turning up at the autopsy may have been a bid to cover up medical negligence. Damien’s uncle, Bishnu Baboolal said they needed an investigation into what happened at the private medical facility and “how it reached to this point.”
“We have a problem this morning because the doctor from (name called) who made the mistake, she is here while the autopsy is going on, so we suspect some kind of covert thing is going on here. I don’t know why she is here, but she is not supposed to be here,” Baboolal said.
A grieving Damien said his father-in-law’s birthday will be on Christmas Day and it had become a family tradition to have dinner there. He said his wife had already purchased all gifts for family and friends. Now, he said, Christmas will never exist for him again, especially after purchasing several gifts for his wife and not being able to see her face light up on Christmas morning as she opened it.
SWRHA CEO comments
When contacted for comment, CEO of South West Region Health Authority Anil Gosine said it was common for the surgeon to be present in an autopsy in gynaecological deaths. He said there was no restriction against it and maintained that the gynaecologist being there would not distort the pathologist’s findings in any way.
No one available to comment at private medical facility
When Sunday Guardian attempted to contact the administrator at the private medical facility, an attendant (name given) said he would not be available until December 30, and that there was no one at the centre who would be able to comment at the time.
Extracted From: Trinidad Guardian Newspaper