Trinidad Office


Tobago office





Martin George & Company > Laws of Trinidad and Tobago  > AUTHENTICATION OF DOCUMENTS


Authentication is when a document is endorsed with the Apostille Stamp, thereby legalizing it for use in another member country under the terms laid out in the Hague Convention October 1961.

What is the Apostille Stamp?
An Apostille Stamp is used for international verification of the signature on your document/s.

Documents legalized abroad, to be used in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago cannot be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The document should bear the Apostille stamp of the country from which it emanated and will be recognized by the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.

An Apostille consists of the following:
Name of the country from which the document emanates.
Name of the person signing the document.
The capacity in which the person signing the document has acted.
Place of certification.
Date of certification.
The authority issuing the certificate.
Number of certificate.
Seal or stamp of authority issuing certificate.
Signature of authority issuing the certificate.

For what documents can I request an Apostille?
You can request an Apostille on most official Trinidad and Tobago documents created by or signed by an official of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Documents include:
Birth certificates.
Marriage certificates.
Death certificates.
Powers of Attorney.
Certified copies of Articles of Incorporation or LLC.
Court issued documents.
Educational certificates.
Notarized documents (signed by a Trinidad and Tobago Notary). Certificates of Non-impediment. Statutory declarations.
Certificates of Good Character.
Free Sale Certificates.
Certificates of Origin.

How long does authentication take?
The authentication process takes two working days. In an emergency, however, your document can be prepared upon receipt and returned to you during the same business day.

How much does it cost?
No fees are charged for the process of authentication

Where can I find more information?
For more information, or if you require any form of assistance, please contact the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy, High Commission or Consulate nearest to you (follow link below for contact information). You may also contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Extracted From: TT Connect

No Comments

Leave a Comment

3 × 5 =

error: Content is protected !!