At sixteen, Whitney Marshall-Carrington has gone through one of the worst ordeals in her lifeâ€”giving birth to a stillborn baby. With the support of her husband, Solomon Carrington, 21, she is determined to get justice for their babyâ€™s death. The couple is claiming that their baby died because of negligence at the Point Fortin Area Hospital.
They intend to pursue legal action and are calling on Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan to launch an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her babyâ€™s death. Speaking yesterday at the San Fernando office of their attorney, Navindra Ramnanan, the teenager said she had a healthy pregnancy. Her due date was May 17.
But while at her Warden Road home last week Thursday morning she began experiencing labour pains and she was rushed to the Point Fortin Area Hospital. The teenager said she waited an hour before she was admitted on a ward and a further two hours to see a doctor. â€śAll they do was put me on drips. I was in so much pain.â€ť
Another three hours passed before she was attended to by a another doctor. She said she was then rushed to the San Fernando General Hospital without being told the reason. When she arrived there around 3.30 pm an ultrasound was done. â€śThey told me my baby was dead. They told me if they would have induced labour at Point Fortin then my baby would be alive,â€ť she said.
The teenager said she gave birth to her dead baby around 1 am the following day. The couple, who got married last December, had already chosen a name for their first bornâ€”Dillion. â€śI am so sad I had everything for my baby,â€ť she added. An autopsy is expected to be performed at the San Fernando mortuary today. Attempts to reach Dr Lackram Bodoe, chairman of the South West Regional Health Authority, for a comment were unsuccessful.
Extracted From: Trinidad Guardian Newspaper
Published: Thursday, May 10, 2012