The family of a 30 year-old welder Navin Singh of Princes Town has initiated legal action against the South West Regional Health Authority over the young manâ€™s death in October last year.
The familyâ€™s attorney Martin George and Co issued a pre-action protocol letter to the authority last week.
Singh died from a rare flesh eating bacterium, five days after a doctor diagnosed and treated him for a pinched nerve. An autopsy at the mortuary of the San Fernando General Hospital gave the cause of his death as septic shock necrotising fasciitis of the right limb.
According to the Centres for Disease Control, necrotising fasciitis is a serious bacterial infection that spreads rapidly and destroys the bodyâ€™s soft tissue. Known as a flesh eating infection, this rare disease can be caused by different types of bacteria.
Singh, of Gajdhar Lands, Princes Town, died on October 30, two days after his 30th birthday.
He worked as a welder with a contractor at Petrotrin and had set a date to marry his girlfriend of five years, Janice Soogrim, on April 16, this year.
Soogrim had already ordered and received her wedding dress.
According to the Singh family lawyersâ€™ on two previous occasions when the family took Singh to the SWRHAâ€™s facilities, doctors failed to recognise or even diagnose that he was suffering from the dangerous and deadly flesh eating disease despite the fact that parts of his skin were swollen, puffy and oozing pus.
â€śHe was diagnosed instead with having a pinched nerve and was given Gravol and an injection and sent back home. When taken back a couple days later with his condition worsening tremendously and his skin darkening and unable to even walk, so crippling was the pain and agony he was in, he was again given Gravol and an injection and sent back home,â€ť Martin George and Company noted.
Apart from the pre-action protocol letter, the attorneys have also written to Minister of Health Dr Fuad Khan calling for a full and independent investigation.
Extracted From: Trinidad & Tobago Newsday Newspaper