EXPECTANT MOTHERS FEAR SANDO MATERNITY WARD

Expectant mothers are expressing fear about having their babies at the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) following the death of a mother and infant over the weekend. Several mothers who attend ante-natal clinic at the hospital and at the Pleasantville and Roy Joseph Health Centres, said they are afraid to have their babies at the hospital but they could not afford to go to private hospitals. Nyca Foster, 29, of La Brea, and her unborn child died at the SFGH on Saturday morning, three days after she was admitted to the hospital in intense pain. Foster’s relatives are hoping an autopsy, due to be performed on the mother and child at the mortuary of the hospital this morning, will provide the answers they so desperately seek.

Foster was the fourth woman to die at the hospital’s maternity ward for the year and the third for the month. Attention was drawn to the maternity ward last Carnival Friday, March 4, when Chrystal Boodoo-Ramsoomair died there shortly after giving birth to her third child, baby girl Danielle, by caesarean section. A post mortem done on March 7 by pathologist Dr Hubert Daisely revealed thaT Chrystal died of hypovolaemic shock, consistent with post-hysterectomy. Ten doctors and nurses were suspended and have since been cleared. The CEO of the South West Regional Health Authority, Paula Chester Cumberbatch, and acting Medical Director Dr Anand Chatoorgoon also were dismissed.

Last week Boodoo Ramsoomair’s widow, Lorne Ramsoomair, via his attorney, sent a pre-action protocol letter to the SWRHA, naming medical personnel involved in his wife’s surgery. At Boodoo-Ramsoomair’s funeral, Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had called for measures to be put in place to ensure there was no repeat of the incident. However, days later on March 14, the 15-pound unborn baby Gianni Taylor died in the womb of his mother, Simone Critchlow-Taylor, at the hospital. The child’s father, Kervon Taylor, an ambulance driver with the SWRHA, blamed the death of the infant on doctors’ delay in performing a C-section to remove the large baby from his wife’s small womb. He said his wife’s doctor had given her a letter on Carnival Tuesday for an emergency C-section to deliver the baby.

Taylor said he took his wife to the hospital on March 10 , but doctors did not consider it an emergency case. The child died in his mother’s womb four days before the scheduled March 16 surgery. On August 31, Guyanese national Feeza Delana died from hemorrhaging after giving birth to a baby girl. On September 26, Shara Mohammed died at her Moruga home, two weeks after delivering her ninth child by caesarean section. An autopsy performed gave the cause of death as pulmonary embolism
At the same hospital on September 27, the unborn baby of Nasim Haynes and his wife, Cherry Ann Jones, of Penal, died in her mother’s womb.

Haynes, a farmer, said his daughter, whom he had named Nabia, spent several hours inside his wife’s womb before being removed by doctors on Tuesday. These incidents have prompted Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan to call for the appointment of a special audit team, comprising obstetricians, gynaecologists, not attached to the Regional Health Authority, as well surgical and administrative personnel and a midwife, to examine each case. SWRHA chairman Dr Lackram Bodoe has expressed concern about the frequency of these incidents. However, at a news conference on Saturday, he said preliminary investigations showed all protocols and procedures were followed

Extracted From: Trinidad Guardian Newspaper

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *