Accused: I did not give that statement

by Court Reporter
Saturday 26th June, 1993

LEROY ANDREWS, the accused in the Lopinot Murder Trial, yesterday denied that he killed radiographer Marion Narinesingh.

Andrews, 18, also denied that he dictated a statement to the police. He said the police brought some papers for him and told him to sign them if he wanted to go home.

Andrews, of Lopinot Road, Arouca, is before Justice Lennox Deyalsingh in the Port-of-Spain First Assize Court charged with the murder of Marion Narinesingh on July 3, 1991, at Lopinot.

State attorney Ingrid White-Wilson is prosecuting, while Ken Wright and Martin George are representing lie accused. Hearing resumes on Monday.

The accused told the jury he went to pick mangoes at the Narinesingh home on July 3, 1991. While there, he saw smoke coming from the house. He said he took his mangoes and ran.

Andrews said he did not know what was going on and he did not want to be involved. He admitted that he was frightened. He went home and then proceeded to a friend’s house in Sangre Grande.

The accused said he then went into Port-of-Spain. He denied ever telling his friend, Kevin Rodriguez, that he killed the woman. He also denied speaking to another friend, Marlon Adams, about the incident.

Andrews said when the police visited his home on July 5, 1991, he told them he did not know anything about the killing. He said he was taken to the Arouca Police Station.

At the station he met Insp Stephen Quashie who took him into a room and asked him questions. The accused said Quashie showed him some papers and told him to sign them. Andrews asked about the papers and he said Quashie replied that if he signed them he would be released. Andrews said he signed the papers. He said he was just 16 years old and neither his mother nor his other relatives visited him at the police station.

He said that he signed the papers because he wanted to go home. He claimed that he and Quashie were alone in the room, but after he signed the papers, people were walking in and out.

Andrews denied reading the statement in front of a Justice of the Peace.

He also stated that the JP never asked him if he was threatened with violence or made promises to sign the statement.

The accused said the police never cautioned him. He said the statement which was read to the jury was not true. Andrews said when he into the Narinesingh yard, he did not see Marion.

He saw the smoke coming from the back door. “I thought there was a fire when I saw the smoke. I didn’t shout fire fire. ” I was frightened and just ran. What happened to the Narinesingh’s home didn’t concern me.  If I see smoke coming from my neighbour’s house, I would leave it. It does not concern me. I will not bother,” the accused added.

Both the prosecutor and the defence attorney will address the matter on Monday.